The Black River Falls Virtual School program was created and implemented for the 2010-2011 school year. The program was developed to better serve the unmet needs of some of our students and move toward preparing ALL students for the 21st century skills they will be required to demonstrate in their futures.
The School District of Black River Falls will be partnering with Wisconsin Virtual School, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction designated public virtual program and WiscNet to provide viable course options for our students. Black River Falls’ Virtual programming will enable us to provide virtual learning options for our students, including:
- Relevant courses in flexible locations in an asynchronous environment
- High quality, interactive courses aligned to state and national standards
- Middle school and high school level curriculum
- Over 70 different course options
- AP courses not already offered at Black River Falls High School
- Semester courses for credit deficient students, and others unable to successfully participate in a traditional setting
- A solution for schedule conflicts, home-based learners, homebound, adjudication, truancy, expulsions, teen parents, and other special needs
- Modified rates of learning to accommodate the student -traditional, accelerated or extended
- The experience of online learning in preparation for future training in post-secondary educational and work environments
Black River Falls Virtual courses are aligned to national and state standards. Course goals and objectives will be available upon request. Students currently enrolled at BRFHS full-time can enrich their course selection with courses not currently offered at BRFHS. Courses cannot supplant courses offered on-site. Students in a full-time home-based learning environment have access to all available coursework.
All courses are 1-2 semester courses, and students are given 5 months from the date of enrollment to complete each course for fall and spring terms. The number of concurrent courses, being completed at any one time, will be determined by the school district. Each student will work with district staff to develop a virtual education plan. All courses are taught by Wisconsin certified teachers.
Please read the virtual school handbook for more in-depth information.